The Amelia Piano Trio
Dispatches Intently Followed: Though formed just six years ago, the Amelia Piano Trio has already won significant acclaim, not least for its adventurous collaboration with living composers. This week it brings one of the most beloved works in chamber music—Felix Mendelssohn's wondrous D minor piano trio, a work Robert Schumann hailed as "the master trio of the age"—and pairs it with a movement from a new work written especially with the Amelias in mind: "Short Stories" by Pulitzer Prize-winning composer John Harbison. The threesome leads off with a vivid Schubert scherzo.
MUSIC PLAYED IN THE PROGRAM
- Franz Schubert: Piano Trio in E-flat No. 2, Op. 100 (D. 929)
- -III. Scherzo: Allegro moderato
- John Harbison: Short Stories (2003)
- -III. Rumors and Reports. First from a distance, then more urgently, dispatches intently followed to their suddenly evaporating conclusion.
- Felix Mendelssohn: Piano Trio No. 1 in d minor, Op. 49
- -I. Molto allegro e agitato
- -II. Andante con moto tranquilo
- -III. Scherzo: Leggiero e vivace
- -IV. Finale: Allegro assai appaossionato
LINKS AND RESOURCES
Artist profile: Amelia Piano Trio