Leif Ove Andsnes performs Debussy, Liszt, Brahms
At first blush, Leif Ove Andsnes's press kit lends the impression that he's an Olympic skier: one critic lauds his "steely nerves," while another places him "at the top of the tree, even in his hazardous profession." Then, too, Andsnes is from Norway, where skiing is second only to walking. But this week on Saint Paul Sunday we'll discover that the heights Andsnes masters with such breathtaking artistry aren't snow-capped —they're pinnacles of the piano repertoire. A regular soloist with the world's major orchestras and recipient of the Irving S. Gilmore Keyboard "genius grant," Andsnes will play a Brahms intermezzo, Debussy's Estampes ("Engravings"), and an excerpt from Liszt's "Years of Pilgrimage" cycle.
MUSIC PLAYED IN THE PROGRAM
- Claude-Achille Debussy: "Estampes"
- Franz Liszt: "Deuxième année: Italie"
- Johannes Brahms: Intermezzo in B flat major, Op. 117, No. 2
LINKS AND RESOURCES
Artist profile: Leif Ove Andsnes
Other performances on Saint Paul Sunday:
- Leif Ove Andsnes performs Schumann, Debussy
- Leif Ove Andsnes performs Schumann, Beethoven, Mompou